Outdoor play and nature connection for children and young people
Trees and Seas Outdoor Adventures offers affordable outdoor play based learning opportunities for children and families living in Edinburgh.
Trees and Seas Outdoor Adventures aims to enrich the lives of children, families and carers through outdoor play and nature connections in South East Edinburgh.
Specific aims include:
- Developing children’s self-esteem, social skills and resilience
- Build stronger community identity and engagement
- Supporting parents/carers and staff to become more confident in outdoor environments
We run regular weekly sessions every Wednesday and Friday which are held within the local woodlands. In the warmer months we travel to our beautiful coastlines for beach sessions.
At our sessions we encourage lots of free play so children can explore and discover at their own pace and in their own way, while learning and truly connecting to nature.
We run workshops during the school holidays. Example sessions are :
- Mud Kitchen Madness
- Natural Tie Dye
- Bush Craft and Fire Lighting
- Water & Wool (Felting and knitting)
- Outdoor Cooking
- The Musical Forest at The Three Hares Community Woodland
Our vision is for healthy, inclusive outdoor play to be a natural part of childhood regardless of background or circumstances.
Children and young people will get to explore and enjoy the natural spaces in their local community and will care and be proud of their environment.
Parents/carers and support staff will understand the risks and benefits of playing outside while gaining confidence to share and enjoy nature with their children.
Child-led play gives children the freedom to explore and learn as they wish, with the support of adults.
By allowing children to take the lead, we can identify what interests them and focus in on this to help them understand and connect with their surroundings on a deeper level.
All our sessions are child-led to create greater learning opportunities, help develop self-esteem and build confidence.
Trees and Seas is a Community Interest Company established in January 2019. One of our aims is to support local communities and other agencies to deliver our activities. Our partnerships include:
- Bridgend Farmhouse
- The Very Inclusive Play Club
- Pilton Community Health Project
- Gracemount Community Garden and Transition Edinburgh South
- Kaimes School for young people with additional support needs
- The Musical Forest at Three Hare Community Woodland
- City of Edinburgh Council: Enhanced Support Bases from Southside of Edinburgh Schools
- City Of Edinburgh Council: Additional Support for Learning Inclusion Support Team
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Zain absolutely loves coming to the sessions on Fridays at the mansion. It’s the highlight of his week! I wish I had signed him up sooner! He’s becoming more independent and has learned a lot of new skills.
“I’ve made really nice friends! Everything is my favourite bit! I want to do this forever.” (Zain)